Monday, October 27, 2008

WEEK 9 A "As I Have Loved You''

LOVE THE GREATEST COMMANDMENT



On Monday Oct 27 2008 we received a wonderful surprise by mail. A large enveloppe contained two beautiful portraits: one of our son Jonathan and one of our Savior Jesus Christ. I immediately looked up the address of the sender and found her phone number via internet . I then, called Sister Lamph and thanked her for these priceless gifts. She told me the story behind it.
A week or so ago, Elder Kaufman and Elder Denis were grocery shopping during their PD in Tremonton, Utah (and were also wearing their suits that day) when Sister Lamph noticed them in the store. She asked them to wait for her as she would go back home to get her camera and take pictures of them. She explained that she would draw a portrait of them and send it to their mothers to show her gratitude for the service the missionaries give to the Lord. They graciously accepted knowing that their mothers would greatly appreciate receiving such a labor of love.
Sister Lamph also sent along an explanation of how she began this project a few years ago. Here is what she wrote:
"This is the story of why this picture (the picture of Jesus) was done....
One very cold winter night in California, I felt the need to go to Walmart. This was not something I would normally do. I ventured out in that 30 degree weather. As I passed a vacant lot, I saw a person trying to make a bed on top of two overturned shopping carts that were pushed together.
I forgot all about Walmart and turned my car around to go back home to find a blanket of some kind. Being right after Christmas, I spotted a new Quilt that my foster Mother (from my childhood) had just given to me. I returned to my car and drove back to the place I had seen the person. I got out of my car. I walked over to where the man was. By now he was laying across the carts. I unfolded the quilt and gently put it over him. He pulled it up around his neck and then turned his face to me. He whispered "thank you"... And when he did this, it was as if I were looking at the face of Christ! I then turned and walked away.
The next day I drove by that spot...there on the shopping cart, neatly folded was the quilt I had placed on the nameless man from the night I would never forget.
My name is Ravena, and I am an artist. I have tried to do pictures of the Savior many times....but it was after this experience that I did this portrait of Him. It could be named "If you have done it unto the least of these"... But I have named it "As I have loved you" LOVE THE GREATEST COMMANDMENT."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, how very appreciative I am for this priceless gift! I feel the wonderful spirit of my Savior through the heart and artistic talent of Sister Lamph. I also feel the same spirit that flows through the music and the words of "A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief". May the Lord and his endless love touch our hearts always, as we all strive to be more like him and serve him.
Brigitte K.

2 comments:

Nancy Gagnon said...

Beautiful story and portraits....thanks again for sharing, Brigitte!

Love The Gagnon Family

Unknown said...

Hello, how wonderful it must have been to feel that you see the light of Christ in the humblest person. What an inspiring event.

Thanks for letting us be a part.

Luv the Laytons

We appreciate your visit!