Wednesday, July 7, 2010

WEEK 97 - Yesterday I Spent the Day with the Assistants to the President...and Helped Prepare for Zone Conference

Mom,

You are right, everybody in Utah is really tall. Sometimes we will meet deacons and teachers who tower over us -- That's a scary sight. Speaking of tall people, Aaron had the neatest spiritual experience during his baptism that confirmed to him that what he did was true. We did our part and explained that that feeling of approval came from the Holy Spirit of Promise and he could always qualify for those blessings as he remains worthy. He still has a great desire to learn more about the layers of the gospel (seeing as there are many) -- that is what it's all about!

I received your letter yesterday. I assume that because of the holidays the mailing of letters were delayed -- But I'm not bitter about it haha! I really appreciate each letter your mail. Even though I might not express it in words, whenever I receive your letters my eyes open wider and I smile from ear to ear. Thank you so much!

Unlike past experiences, our zone did not participate in any parade. In fact, we are really discouraged to participate. I wasn't to impressed with that, but 'c'est la vie'.

Yesterday I spent the day with the assistants to the president. I worked their area and helped prepare for zone conference. I have to admit that inter-city Ogden is absolutely different from Farmington. We were constantly on-the-go and taught about 10 lessons; that never happens in Farmington! Also, we met a wide variety of people: Some claimed to be Jesus; the prophet; the annointed one; the devil; and so much more. .... all and all, I really love my mission.

After meeting all the unique people in Ogden and comparing them to the people of Farmington, my thoughts led me to two scriptures: 1 Nephi 17:35 (first sentence) and D&C 18:10. I agree with Samuel when he said that "man looketh on the outward appearance, while God looketh on the heart. While we misjudge people because of a lack of material possessions and popularity, and a low self-image, God never makes that mistake. We are completely equal in his eyes and all have the same equal opportunity to progress in our time of probation. The universal goal for us is to become perfect. That is the requirement (Matthew 5:48). By ourselves we cannot reach it. Wha'ts more, material possessions, popularity and even a high-self image will not aid us in that pursuit. Only with and through Jesus can that goal be accomplished. Do you see how equal we are? The only thing we really need is our Savior. I am happy to know that his invitation to "Come unto me" is open to every one (2 Nephi 26:25,27,33). All of us have an equal chance to find him and to reach the most important goal: Salvation and Exaltation.

I love you so much,

Elder Jonathan Kaufman!

0 comments:

We appreciate your visit!