Tuesday, November 25, 2008

WEEK 13

Hey Mom and Dad,

First off, I am so excited to hear about Elder Carpenter's mission call! The Utah missions are the best in the world - no bias whatsoever. He will have so much success. Tell him I love him and can't wait to hear from him again.

Next, I want to apologize for last weeks email home. We had a very busy P-day. Our district leader suggested we should attend the temple (Logan) together - to spiritually strengthen our district...it worked! Afterwards, we HAD to go to zone soccer (every missionary in our zone plays sports together). Than we needed to buy food!
This left little time to write emails.

1. You almost tracked Elder Dennis and I. We live exactly across the street from your yellow pin. You pointed the pin on a truck lol. I can't believe you tracked us down! I love you. We used to play soccer when it was warmer. Now we spend our P-days jamming it away on the Guitar. My area is awesome!
2. Ahh, I love this topic. Reverence: to receive revelation, one needs to invite the spirit. It is almost impossible to receive revelation if one is not quiet and not focusing their thoughts on things pertaining to the Gospel of Christ. One needs to have virtuous thoughts. Virtue is a prerequisite to the guidance of the Holy Ghost. Thus, one cannot receive revelation without being influenced by the Holy Ghost.
Repetition: Every single week we attend church and learn principles that we already know. Every single day we read the Book of Mormon, which we have already read. Every single time we attend general conference we listen to the Apostles speak about familiar principles. As such, every time one is reverent (check out my definition of reverence), during sacrament meeting, Book of Mormon reading and general conference, you will find your self saying things like: the talks at sacrament were awesome or I read an awesome passage in the Book of Mormon the other day or the talks I heard at general conference were all directed at me. This is revelation. Again, be reverent while learning familiar principles (repetition).
3. Elder Dennis is not counting the days until he goes home. He wants to remain a missionary forever!!! He is great!
4. I did see the photos! They were awesome. Thank you for sharing them with me. I could really sense the excitement. It reminded me of my special day!
5. Yes. I believe he does live near the mission home. I would love for them to personally bring me a package. I just cannot hang out with them - mission rule!
6. I have been PART of 5 baptisms. I have baptized one (Luke) and I have confirmed one (Joy Cunningham).

The thing about this mission is that our investigators are set up with awesome members who fellowship them - they usually ask them to be baptized. Regardless, helping someone feel the spirit is a spiritual conversion. Heavenly Father really helps us out.
8 .I am keeping a tally of all the people I have met or spoke to. I am well over 200. I wouldn't be surprised if I have reached the 1000 mark. Crazy huh? Our goal is to talk to at least 10 new people a day. Some days we talk to 30. So yeah. I have talked to a lot of people!

Well, this week has been awesome. The members here trust us ....

Pres. Joyce commended us for our efforts. .... We are now reaching goals we have struggled with ever since I got here. I love how the Lord blesses us as we do our best to keep his Commandments. Just like Nephi always says: In as much we keep the commandments, we will prosper in the land. This really applies to missionary work. I just started the Book of Mormon again. I love how I pick out new insights every time I re-read it. I love Chapter 2,3,5, 8,10,15,19. These chapters are truly awesome. I learned so much from them. Chapters 10-15 are so awesome. Nephi, wanted to know what his father saw in his vision. In Nephi 10:19 we learn that diligence will unfold the mysteries of God unto us. In Nephi 19:23 we learn that he likened the scriptures to himself. That is what he did. He diligently kept the commandments and an angel appeared to him and confirmed everything his father told him. Great scriptures.

Awesome news. We are going to try and baptize Colton Saturday! Also, we picked up one new investigator who will be baptized on Dec 6. We are going to have a great couple of weeks.

Keep praying for me. Thank Heavenly Father for our success. Thank him for everything. I know he will continue to bless us as we diligently keep his commandments.
I love you,
Your son,
Elder Jonathan Kaufman

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Elder Kaufman, I enjoyed reading of your missionary experiences. I see you attende the Logan Temple, which is where I received my endowment. My mother's parents lived there so we visited often. My cousin is the sheriff of Cache County. It is a beautiful place. I am so glad to have met you and Rebecca. Keep up the fine work! Love Bishop Bertoldo

We appreciate your visit!